Thursday, May 14, 2009

Resolution

Today I destroyed my one chance to have a conversation of any length at all with anyone over the age of 2 by watching one and a half episodes of a crappy tv show. I didn't realize that was the tradeoff I had made until afterward, but I cannot think of any more depressing way to end a day, so.....

No more tv. Until the end of med school. None.

I would say until the end of my life, but I don't feel like I can make that type of commitment right now. But I do feel depressed and lonely enough at the moment to commit to two years on the off-chance that I can avoid ending another day on as desolate a note as today.

Matt and I don't own a tv specifically because we both don't *want* to watch tv, but end up watching it when it's there. Like ice cream (for me), except that in that case I continue to buy it. The problem is, it has just become so easy to watch tv even without one. There is no way to set things up so that you don't have to use self-control on a daily basis (unless I guess we decided to not have internet access, but that doesn't turn out to be very practical anytime other than on vacation. I can't even take tests without internet, or study for the boards. Though really some things I use the internet for are pathetic (...looking up the temperature rather than opening a window to check? please...). Oh well, at least I learned something today, even if it was a terrible day.

Oh, and by the way, the tv show was Gossip Girl. Point this out, please, anytime I seem like I am on any kind of tv high horse...or anti-superficiality high horse...or I-am-so-busy-I-have-no-time baloney self-pity-party. Feel free to point out that I watched almost an entire season of Gossip Girl in a period of under two months...and probably would have watched more had I known where to find it. I wish I could say I am more the type of person who becomes addicted to something mildly substantive, like Lost, or Law & Order, or ESPN, but....let the truth be known. Don't be deceived by the lack of make-up and determination to cut my own hair. I watch Gossip Girl.

Just not any more.