Sunday, October 12, 2008

Kind of turning into a sweetie

Naomi seems to be getting a little bit more emotionally mature lately. Today I saw her from a distance react to getting majorly shoved by another kid by simply saying "Don't push me" rather than pushing back. This may not seem like a huge deal (and for all I know she might have shoved him right before that!), but Naomi has a history of being a little bit physically aggressive, and I was really proud of her for not pushing back. There is just NO WAY she would have reacted so well to this even three months ago.

This afternoon, she and I were reading the Selfish Giant. Naomi kept pointing at the children huddling in the street after the giant kicks them out of his garden and asking "What's gon' happen the children?" I explained that the giant wouldn't let them play in his garden because it was his, and he didn't know how to share, so now they were sad because they didn't have anywhere to play...but that the giant would learn to share later, so they would all play together and be happy. Naomi thought for a minute, then smiled, leaned over and gave the entire book a hug, explaining "I hug it". "Who are you hugging, the children?" I asked. "Yes. I hug it, the children." I thought that was kind of a sweet response, too. Who would think to try to hug the characters in a book when they are sad? Not me!