Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Ideas

I realize no one really reads this blog other than family and possibly a very small number of friends...but for me it can also fulfill a very journal-like purpose. I have a good audience for talking about med school in real life, but generally try to refrain from talking to my 22 year old classmates about how much Naomi loves her Magna Doodle, how fun it is to hear her singing "Allee Galloo", etc. But then, those things really are a big part of my life. On that note, I thought I would just share with myself a few of my favorite resources for fun things to do with a toddler.

Favorite Art Book:
This book has great ideas for process-focused art. Naomi has not gotten into art a ton yet, but we have started using some of these ideas, and I love the philosophy behind it all.

Favorite Story-Related Activity Book:
Great, simple and fun things to do relating to favorite board books.

Favorite Music/Movement Book:
Another book that is most valuable for its introduction of a philosophy or approach to integrating music and movement in a fun and process-oriented way.

There is a part of me (the part that is sick of studying the minute histological distinctions between the parotid, submandibular, and sublingual glands, perhaps?) that thinks it would be really fun to start a preschool. Like the Blue Man Group's awesome-looking "Blue Man Creativity Center" that just opened in the village here (and costs both arms and both legs, I might add). Maria Montessori was a doctor, right? Or maybe it's Waldorf that was? I don't know, I don't have time to look that up, I have to study. Which is good, but there is a tradeoff, and I do acknowledge the tradeoff though I'm hesitant to assume it's as pronounced as conventional wisdom assumes. Anyway. I think it would be fun to even do just a preschool coop with some others...but I don't think it will be a possibility for us by the time Naomi is old enough. So instead we will just content ourselves to doing fun things largely on our own.