Friday, July 04, 2008

Happy 4th

So it turns out Naomi is completely fine. Not bothered, disturbed, upset, or...anything really. Now all of my freaking out about the long-term damaging effects of angry and sudden abandonment on a little kid's psyche seem, well, just a little overblown. Apparently Naomi understands that sometimes people get mad, and that people other than Matt and I come and go, and that it's ok. She's got us (we're so great we're even the ones to thank for her already understanding that people get mad)! And she knows it. She's FINE.

Matt and I on the other hand...have had a more difficult week (especially Matt!!). This week has been the second busiest all year for Matt, so not a great time to have to find, interview, reference check, etc, various babysitters....or to really sit down and try to figure out what we could do better this time around. And I have actually been doing some things at work (though I think I really screwed up my experiment somehow yesterday and am going to have to do it again because the results suck and also I was way too slow). But we did have some good times, as well. On Tuesday, the silver lining of my having to take Naomi to and from emergency daycare in Midtown was that we could meet Matt and walk from there up to Matt's firm's family night at the zoo before he had to go back in to work. SO FUN! We love the Central Park Zoo, especially on a nice surprisingly cool summer night.

This morning we took a zipcar out with our friends Christina, Manahi, and Samuel to Far Rockaway beach. It was drizzling when we got there, but ended up being a great day--not too hot or crowded, but sunny enough for me to get sunburned. It was nice just talking with friends, letting the kids entertain each other, and wading out into the ocean. Naomi was a little scared at first, but ended up liking being splashed by the waves as long as I was holding her.

We were too tired for fireworks later on, but it was raining anyway, and we had a nice walk instead. Next year.

Naomi and Matt stopping to play by some weird Hello Kitty statues on the way to the zoo:
At the zoo:


Beach: