Saturday, May 31, 2008

Welcome Home, Matthew!

My brother got home from his mission to Baltimore, Maryland a week ago, so Matt, Naomi and I went to Utah for his homecoming. We had a great time...though I apologize in advance for not taking as many pictures as I thought I did. Eating and relaxing after Matthew's homecoming (he gave a great talk, and we were actually able to listen to it since Naomi was rather uncharacteristically cooperative at church):
Matthew had never met Naomi before (she was born while he was gone), so we can excuse him for mistaking her for a pillow.
Naomi and Hank dumping the dogs' water out.
Naomi asleep on the plane ride out...after two hours straight of screaming and struggling against us with all her (uncannily endless) might. Matt and I are going to start a business for couples or individuals considering having children. We will let them fly across the country with our child (who was, for what it's worth, about ten times worse than any of the other kids on both flights). Education and birth control all in one...anyone interested?
Naomi and Jeffrey Cannon. Naomi was in love with this car, spent hours and hours riding around in it. That and opening and shutting doors were the highlights of the trip for her! She can open and shut doors now because she is (or was a month ago--I guess she may be a little taller now) 35 inches tall, ie in the 99th percentile for height. I guess that means she is getting enough sleep?
Naomi and her great-grandparents Barbara and Alvin. My Grandpa Alvin is almost halfway through chemotherapy for Hodgkin's lymphoma--doesn't he look great? Now if only he felt as good as he looks. Still, these two had some good time with Naomi while we were there, and watched her for a couple of hours one day while Matt and I went to the mall (what can I say, we don't have them in NY).
Naomi, Jayne and Matthew.
After a little party for Matthew on Sunday, we went up to the cabin. We went hiking, played the guitar and ukelele (horribly, in my case), watched Pirates of the Caribbean I, ate hamburgers at a little diner, and played a lot of "Things" and some New Yorker game where you have to write a caption for a cartoon.

Matthew and Matt swinging Naomi on the hike.
Naomi and my mom playing with rocks.Naomi, Matt, and Sarah:We also went swimming a couple of times, but somehow I don't have any pictures (I do have video though...). Naomi swimming with Grandpa "Bonk", as she calls my dad: All in all we had a great time, especially seeing Matthew after such a long time. He still is very much the same person, just as fun only more of an adult...we love you Matthew!