Monday, April 13, 2009
Happy Easter
The three girls:
First of all, let me apologize for the fact that Matt is in none of these pictures. We really need to take more pictures of us as a family (a fact we realized when Naomi's teachers asked her to bring in a family picture for a unit they were doing on families...and we had some significant difficulty actually finding one). He was here (behind the camera). Sorry. We had a nice easter weekend, though!
Sometimes it is difficult to get Naomi to look at me when I am trying to take a picture.
I thought it would be fun for Naomi to make a hat like the girl in "Jennie's Hat" (an Ezra Jack Keats book about a girl whose plain hat is decorated with all kinds of elaborate things by some birds she has been feeding in the park), and then wear it in the Easter Hat Parade on 5th Avenue. I cut out the pictures, but she actually managed to do the vast majority of the gluing here. Easter turned out to be a little on the cold and windy side, but after playing up the parade so much, I really felt like I needed to follow through. So we went down....only there were *VERY* few people actually wearing hats. Maybe we missed the parade? Naomi kept asking where the hat parade was, which was a little sad, but eventually she bought in to the idea of a "treasure hunt" parade that involved searching for other hats...
...and all was remedied once and for all once we ran into a very, very friendly Easter Bunny. I wish I brought my video camera to catch Naomi copying the Easter Bunny's dance moves. It was cute.
Random chalk drawing the other weekend at Carl Schurz:
Hiding under the table to eat candy (resulting eventually in one of the three throwing up) at another, more sugar-infused, egg-hunt:
I have mixed feelings about doing frivolous things on holidays. On the one hand, it is pathetic that in contrast to Jewish holidays, which are virtually 100% free of commercialization and obsession with candy....Christian holidays in America are about 95% focused on these types of things. On the other hand, it is fun to have fun. I guess I think there is a difference between frivolous and commercialized, and I am a little more down on excess of the latter.