...is another woman's wedding ring. The ring is found! Our amazing, wonderful custodian and handyman wouldn't let me look through the garbage this morning because of liability issues (someone has been throwing away syringes in the trash, apparently?), but they agreed to look themselves. I stayed for a while with them, then eventually went to drop Naomi off at daycare, and go to school. When I got home, Matt said they didn't find the ring. He went down to talk to them again, and they mentioned that they had found other small things, including a small silver coil of some sort, but no wedding ring. It turns out, the coil was my ring! I described it, but they were still expecting something big with diamonds and so on, so when they saw it, they threw it back into the trash thinking it was nothing. Then they and Matt both went through some of the trash bags to find it again.
And they did! From now on the ring is going on my right hand only, where it fits a little more snugly and doesn't have the same tendency of slipping off unprovoked. I don't know why my fingers are so much skinnier now than three and a half years ago, since the rest of me is NOT, but maybe this just means that the ring will still fit me when I'm 70 and have arthritis. Then I will return it to my left hand. In the meantime, right hand it is!