Naomi was sent home from daycare yesterday because she threw up and had diarrhea. I kind of think the diarrhea was probably a subjective thing and the throwing up maybe resulted from too much coughing, because she never had a fever, felt and ate fine all day yesterday and today, but threw up again last night in the middle of the night...when her coughing was worse. And she has been having an asthma exacerbation the past couple days. So I think it was an asthma thing, but she couldn't go to daycare today either because of policy, which is tough. It is tough to have a kid need to stay home from daycare. And it is not great news on the asthma front either. We have been using Xopenex (variation on albuterol) as needed, but if you get to the point of needing to use it somewhat regularly, then you really need to go on some type of prophylactic medication. So now we are trying out Singulair, which has a low likelihood of working for her particular flavor of asthma (but is a very nice clean drug unlike crappy prednisone, so it'd be nice if it did happen to work), but if it doesn't work, we'll have to move on to an inhaled form of Prednisone, at least during cold season. I'm a little sad about this. But it is ok. Her life could be worse.
We did have some fun yesterday and today, though (Matt stayed home with her in the morning so I could still go to class). Yesterday we took a field trip to FAO Schwartz, where we met up with Matt.

For some reason there is no giant piano anymore (what?!), but they do have a really, really cute new book area:


On an unrelated note, I got these vegetables from FreshDirect for a roasted fall vegetables recipe, which was really delicious with only one slight problem. Can you guess? The rutabega is practically as big as my head, and none of our knives are sharp enough to cut through it, so it wasn't included in the finished product. How can I cook this thing? I would boil it, but it won't even fit in any of our pots. It is not very delicious raw, so eating it like an apple is more or less out. We had a similar problem when I tried to order some "medium sized beets" on FreshDirect for a beet salad. The beets that came were really huge and we could not eat beets for a while after that experience. This is apparently a "medium sized rutabega". I'm clearly not an expert in vegetables, since I only knew what the celery root and rutabega even were because they were labeled, but....really? Medium?