Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Not for the weak...

Ah, sweet Bronx.
Never was a borough more appropriately named.

Naomi and I went to the Bronx zoo today (I went in to work at the early hour of 6:30pm). All I can say is the zoo is exhausting. Of course as usual I cannot post without commenting on transportation--today's gem of new knowledge is that the subway, on a weekday anyway, is ten minutes faster and $3 cheaper than the MxB11 express bus, which is however much less exhausting (quieter, smoother, comfier; drops you off much closer with no need for a transfer or hefting the strollerup & down stairs...). It's a toss-up overall. Time vs energy. Anyway, we went to the zoo (by ourselves, because I'm such a nitwit I never think ahead to realize the days I may be able to take a daytrip with Naomi and try to find someone else to go with).
We spent three and a half hours there. As with everything else in the Bronx, 3-1/2 hours was just enough to scratch the surface. So, we mostly focused on the children's zoo. I lost Naomi at one point (yes, lost...as in, if I were a babysitter, I'd be fired). But the children's zoo is really cool--they have all these things showing different types of animal homes the size of a human child, lots of animals and places to climb, the coolest slide in NYC (very exausting to climb two stories over and over again to get to it, though). We also saw the sea lions, monkeys, lions, birds, camels, bison, and some sort of deer. We didn't push the animals too much, since there were also really cool sticks at the zoo, so understandably those turned out to be more of a highlight.
After Naomi's nap, we went school shopping at the Children's Place. I got in trouble for trying a shirt on Naomi outside of the changing room. Apparently the age at which it is now no longer ok to go shirtless momentarily is one and a half?