Monday, August 11, 2008

August and Everything After...


So, the summer is coming to a close. My research project is almost done (more by dictate than reality); I gave a little presentation about it last Thursday. I didn't discover the cure for osteoporosis in aging, and I didn't do a spectacular job of avoiding mistakes, but I learned a lot (for myself, if not for the scientific community) about bone, and aging, and sterile cell culture, and so on. My mentor, and the two other scientists in her lab were really great to work with, and extremely nice to me. I ended up feeling like I had a lot of ownership over my project, like I was actually able to think and reason through things, which was good. So there was that. I don't know if I will try to keep doing some research in the fall. Maybe.

This week is our last week here wrapping things up before a week in Virginia with the Brice side of our family and a week in Cape Cod by ourselves (our first nuclear family only vacation...). Last weekend Matt and I went on a date with some other couples to a nice restaurant, and we spent some more low-key time as a family in Central Park. Oh yeah, we went on a date two weekends ago too--we saw _Life in a Marital Institution_, which was *hilarious* (I love one-man plays!). Then we went to Max Brenner....where I left my bag, so that Matt ended up having to go back down to the village at midnight after our date to retrieve it. Remind me of this the next time I'm annoyed over anything.


Naomi has been doing a lot of walking lately. Partly because I am beginning to have a legitimately difficult time carrying the stroller up and down the subway stairs to and from emergency daycare downtown. And partly to get ready for daycare (the 2 year olds all walk to the park holding on to a rope...whereas Naomi has essentially been "strolled" or carried nearly everywhere since birth). Monday we walked about a mile together on the way to daycare (first to the 92nd street Y for her last "Tiny Tumblers" class...which we signed up for back before we were going to do daycare, but which has been a major hit for Naomi, then down from 92nd to 86th for the subway). In the afternoon, Naomi and Matt walked half a mile back from daycare, then all three of us walked to Asphalt Green's playground half a mile away and back. 2-1/2 miles altogether (smelling and kissing every flower bed, jumping on every gutter, and attempting to climb every set of stairs up to a building along the way....)...yes, yes, we are all about moderation! Just wait till she turns two--she'll be strolling us around for a change!

Speaking of which...I am beginning to feel excited for the fall. For the weather, the breeze, the leaves, the crisp freshness and energy. The life changes. For Naomi to start "school" at Imagine with her adorable new little backpack and unpredictable fireball personality (Will she fall off the top of the slide as she did with me the other day only with no adult underneath to save her? Will she fight and get kicked out, or fall down the stairs and break bones? Will her teachers understand her when she talks to them about "yire yuck"s, "wups" of water, "woop" and "yereal"....). Time will tell. I'm excited for her. And for me. I'm excited for all the classes I'm taking, excited to work harder, learn more. Excited for the new things Matt has in store (stay tuned), excited for life. For August and everything after.

Happy August!